Pages

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Amazing Conversion Stories - James Houston

My previous entry was about the amazing conversion of Margaret Crawford Houston to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This entry is about her husband, James Houston (my 3rd great grandfather), who also had an amazing conversion to the church. James' story reminds me a little bit of the prophet Joseph Smith's own history and his own endeavor to find the truth. I am grateful for James' courage and the decision he made nearly 180 years ago, which no doubt has affected me for the better.

Below are James Houston's own words from his autobiography, which is available on FamilySearch.org (ID: KWBB-6WN):

James Houston Conversion

James Houston
1817 - 1864
I was brought up to be a silk (shawl) weaver. I saw a lot of trouble in my youth, and it caused me to reflect much of the things I saw and heard and I had a great desire to know the true way to be saved in the kingdom of God. I observed that all great men do not always agree on what is right. There was no use for me to try to find the way, still I had a desire to know.

One day I was at an election meeting where a priest was doing his best to explain his faith. I felt a desire to be with good people when they were gathered. The priest was speaking on the subject, "What To Do To Be Saved." I continued praying in my heart, when there was something that came over me that made me feel good all over. I did not say anything to others. I often thought about it, but did not know what it was. But I know now. The Lord heard my prayers and gave the answer -- that I would be shown the right way. I think I was about 14 years old.

I served four years as an apprentice silk-shawl weaver with my brother, John, just before he died. Shortly after his death he came to me one night in a dream. He asked me some questions and I asked him some. From that time on, things took a turn, although I can see many ways that the Lord opened up the way for me to understand the Gospel.

The Elders came to Paisley [Scotland] about the time I had the dream. I mean the Elders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came. I was so engrossed in the company that I did not get to hear them. I went to their place one night and they would not let me in because they had been disturbed before.

So I got into conversation with one of their listeners who had been at the meeting the night before. He told me of an angel coming to Joseph Smith and what the angel said. The power followed the word and it ran through me from head to foot. I began to stand up for it and was surprised at myself.

I got a book, "The Voice of Warning," and began to read it, and the devil began to be mad. I did not know what was the matter. The man of the house where I lodged was a religious man, and when I read in the book and it was so good I would preach to him, and it would make him raving mad. He said all these things were done away with. He spoke of the things I could not understand and that made him very mad and me so pleased, but I was not to be put off  that way. I could not get rid of that feeling and would argue in the workshop until I was astonished at myself.

I sailed for America October 15, 1840 with a small company of saints. Everywhere I could see the same spirit against the saints. It confirms me more. After a pleasant journey of nine weeks, we landed at New Orleans, Mississippi, America, on December 2, 1840. We took a steamboat to St. Louis arriving December 17. (Elder Mulliner, the leader of the company, was unsuccessful in hiring a boat to take the company to Nauvoo and a number of the emigrants remained in Alton, Illinois until the following Spring when they reached Nauvoo in safety).

The Gospel had a great effect on my mind and I thought much. Brother Mulliner invited me home with him in Springnell, Alton, Illinois. I believed the Gospel but I thought I was not good enough to be baptized. I attended the meetings regularly. I was baptized 1841 and confirmed the same night in Springnell, Alton, Illinois.

I knew the gospel was true and I received the spirit according to the promise.

2 comments:

  1. I especially like his experience at age 14 when the Spirit influenced him to know in his mind and heart that he'd be shown the right way.

    ReplyDelete