Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

From My Uncle Ron - A Technical Manual and Dropped Teeth


This is a family story from my uncle Ronald Frye (my mother Linda's brother) that has some great lessons. This took place around 1997 when uncle Ron worked at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, California, a nuclear weapons research facility. Below are my uncle's own words from his autobiography about an inspiring event that took place while he was on the job:

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
"During my last years at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, in a job with the Procurement Department, any opportunity that came along which was in any way remotely associated with something technical, I snatched up. Such was the case with a problem that had been plaguing the Procurement Department for years... that of creating some sort of computer-based system for evaluating companies with whom the lab was doing business. Now for one reason or another, Procurement just couldn't seem to get its act together to solve this problem. Attempts were made over the years, but a satisfactory solution was never realized.

"So, to make a long story short, I created a database, which was based on File Maker Pro, to evaluate those companies. I programmed this application so that quality assurance data would automatically be gathered from some of the lab's other computers, and based on that data a letter grade would be assigned to each company, much like the grading system used in our school system.

"Being in the Quality Assurance group of Procurement, and in a position I thought ideal for solving this problem – after all, I was evaluating the quality assurance programs of companies with whom we were doing business – I started to think about it, and act on it, in my spare time, usually during lunch hour.

"Now the version of File Maker Pro I was using was not designed to plot graphs of data, but I wanted that feature to be a part of the program. Something in the back of my mind told me it could be done, albeit through a "back-door" approach. During one of those working lunchtimes, I closed the door to my office, got down on my knees, and asked the Lord for help to solve this problem. Very clearly, the answer came to my mind: "You will find the answer on page 'xx' of the technical manual." Sure enough, turning to that page revealed what could be done to solve this problem.

My Uncle Ronald Frye
May 1998
"Shortly thereafter, the project was completed, and I showed it to my boss, who contacted his boss and urged him to come see what I had done. Not only did he come, but many other Procurement managers as well. The word spread like wildfire! They about "dropped their teeth" when they saw what I had done in my spare time, something their high-paid software engineers had been unable to do for years. I guess they were really impressed, because I received an award and a raise at our next big division meeting.

"Now how would the Holy Spirit [of God] know about the contents of a software technical manual? I don't know. But it just goes to show that the scriptures are correct when they said the Spirit [of God] can help us know the truth of ALL things."

No comments:

Post a Comment