Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2018

My Brother Jason - Honesty and Courage at a Young Age


Me (1 yr.) & Jason (11 yrs.)
At a family celebration in 1985
I want to share a good little family story about my brother Jason when he exhibited great honesty and courage at a young age. This is taken from an interview I did of my parents, Jim and Linda Hartley, in January 2016. Below is the actual clip taken from the interview and the transcript:




[Begin Transcript]

Dad: I'd like to mention one more, though, about Jason. A time when I was extremely proud of him. He showed some great courage and character as a boy. When he was 11 years old coming up on 12, he'd been involved with some friends and some things at the Fun Dome.

Tom: What was the Fun Dome at the time?

Dad: The 49th Street Galleria at the time, and later became the Fun Dome.

Mom: And that was in Murray [, Utah].

Tom: What kind of place was it, I guess?

Dad: Oh, it was an indoor, kind of a amusement park, if you will.

Mom: Like computer games... with big...

Tom: Like, arcades? And games?

Mom: Arcade games. Arcade games.

Jason (11 yrs.) feeding  me (1 yr.)
At home in 1985
Dad: You had miniature golf, and you had arcade games, and you had bowling, and all kinds of stuff. It was just a fun center.

And he [Jason] had learned from one of his friends how to cheat the machines in the arcade games. And he learned how to get a whole lot of tickets and get a lot of points without really earning them.

But when he was approaching the age of 12, and realized that he could become a holder of the Aaronic priesthood, he decided he needed to shape up. And for someone who is 11 years old that takes a lot of maturity, and a lot of courage.

And he came to me and said, "Before I become a deacon, I need to fix something here." And he told me about what he'd been doing over at the 49th Street Galleria.

And, so, he willingly went with me over to the Galleria and talked with management and told them what he had done. And they worked out a way for him to kind of pay it back. And I just thought...and to this day... I'm so proud of him...for his honesty.


[End Transcript]

No comments:

Post a Comment